In its 40-year history, Pelican has introduced dozens of innovations in transport cases. With the new Pelican Air line it looks like they’ve done it again.
Pelican Air cases are up to 40% lighter than comparably sized cases, thanks to their new polymer and design changes. The line also introduces some unique new cases sizes that should really come in handy.
HPX Resin: A Tougher, Lighter Material
All Pelican Air cases are injection molded from Pelican’s new proprietary HPX2 resin. This next generation formula has an increased ability to absorb impact without breaking.
Stress test on the new cases show they can survive the following situations:
- Drops from six feet onto concrete, even when loaded. Confirmed on all sides and corners.
- Remain watertight at one meter for up to 30 minutes.
- Impacts of a 28 lb. steel dart dropped from 3 feet. Tested on all sides.
- Wheels continue to roll perfectly after over 1,000 yards at 5 mph. Tested with a load.
While independent third party lab tests and certificates are pending, this is very promising for situations in which a lighter case would be a relief. Pelican Air cases are covered by Pelican’s lifetime guarantee, so you can tell this is a line they believe in.
In addition to the new resin, a few design advantages help reduce the case weight. The lid features a new “Conic Curve” contouring for added impact resistance. When the case walls are examined closely, additional thickness is apparent at corners where it really counts. In handles and latches, material is removed where it won’t compromise structural integrity.
Features, Colours and Sizes
In terms of changes, there are a few new variations. The automatic purge valve has been shifted to the left, but is still right next to the handle for convenience. There is also a removable polycarbonate business card holder near handle.
All your favourite Pelican features are present and accounted for:
- Watertight O-ring gasket
- Stainless steel hasp protectors
- Double-throw latches
- Rubber over-moulded handle
- Crushproof and dustproof
Pelican Air cases will be available in black only for May, but additional colors (silver, yellow and orange) will be available summer 2016.
You’ll have to decide between the four available interior options:
- With Pick N’ Pluck foam
- With padded dividers
- With the Trek Pak divider system. Trek Pak uses a unique, configurable set of rigid padded dividers with locking pins.
Sizes and Weights
Pelican Air is launching in the following sizes, with more sizes on their way in the future.
- Exterior: 19.17 x 12.8 x 6.89 inches (48.6 x 32.5 x 17.5 CM)
- Interior: 17.75 x 10.18 x 6.15 inches (45.0 x 25.8 x 15.6 CM)
- Weight: 4.57 lbs. (2.07 kilos), 26% lighter than the comparable Pelican 1500
- Exterior: 21.96 x 13.97 x 7.49 inches (55.7 x 35.4 x 19.0 CM)
- Interior: 20.5 x 11.31 x 6.75 inches (52.0 x 28.7 x 17.1 CM)
- Weight: 5.99 lbs. (2.71 kilos), 28% lighter than the comparable Pelican 1520
1535 AIR – Wheeled Carry On
- Exterior: 21.96 x 13.97 x 8.98 inches (55.7 x 30.4 x 22.8 CM)
- Interior: 20.39 x 11.2 x 7.21 (51.7 x 28.4 x 18.3 CM)
- Weight: 8.69 lbs. (3.94 kilos), 28% lighter than the comparable Pelican 1510
- Exterior: 24.76 x 15.46 x 8.24 inches (62.8 x 39.2 x 20.9 CM)
- Interior: 23.0 x 12.75 x 7.50 inches (58.4 x 37.3 x 19.0 CM)
- Weight: 7.37 lbs. (3.34 kilos), 35% lighter than the comparable Pelican 1550
- Exterior: 28.87 x 16.77 x 9.12 inches (73.2 x 42.5 x 23.1 CM)
- Interior: 26.0 x 14.0 x 8.38 inches (66.0 x 35.5 x 21.2 CM)
- Weight: 9.28 lbs. (4.20 kilos), 33% lighter than the comparable Pelican 1600
1615 AIR – Wheeled Check-In
- Exterior: 32.58 x 18.4 x 11.02 inches (82.7 x 46.7 x 27.9 CM)
- Interior: 29.59 x 15.5 x 9.38 inches (75.1 x 39.3 x 23.8 CM)
- Weight: 14.06 lbs. (6.37 kilos), 40% lighter than the comparable Pelican 1670
We’re sure that customers will be just as excited to try out the new line as we are, especially since every case in this line ships free in Canada when you order from us.
If you have any questions, we’d be happy to help.